Additionally, paste this code immediately after the opening tag: Lars Likes Laos - Pagina 3 - Forum Wereldfietser

Lars Likes Laos

Hai there in cold holland ( okay, 2 in warm Peru, one in spain )

Yesterday I arrived in Luang Prabang after another good day on the road.
Seen so many beautifull nature, even a nice waterfall.
Found a guesthouse, took a hot shower, got dressed for the evening, bought a bottle of beer lao and just sat down at the mekong river. Drinking my beer, watching the sun go down... Couldn't be more happier I was thinking. Made it all the way up here, on my own, just me and my bike.
Today was a rest day, washing some clothes and wander through this very nice town. The massages here are so good, especially after a few days biking. 1 hour for 3 or 4 dollars, so cheap !
Tomorrow I take a speedboat to Pak Beng, from there I cycle up north to Udomxai. Then I take way nr 1 eastwards for a few hundred km and then go south again.
I have heard that in northern Laos there aren't that much shops along the road which sell food. So today went shopping; my bags full of food. Still in an enormous good mood, feeling strong and looking forward to the next part of my little adventure...

Keep you informed

Lars

Hi Lars,

Veel plezier in de boot! Het is een mooie tocht, je ontdekt langzaam dat Laos één groot oerwoud is. Je komt op de Mekong bijna geen dorpjes tegen, het enige wat je ziet zijn de vrachtboten op weg naar China.
Voor de rest bomen, bomen en nog eens bomen.
Pakbeng is ook een vlek op de kaart. Veel plezier op de bonkige Pakbengweg! Je ziet in de dorpjes veel minderheden zoals Hmong en Akka.

Ben benieuwd naar 'live' verhalen en foto's.

Groeten, John.
Hallo Lars,

Fijn dat je het zo geweldig naar je zin hebt en dat vrijwel alles loopt zoals je je dat zou wensen.

Je zal het waarschijnlijk wel niet geloven maar vandaag is er een Spaanse breedlipneushoorn in Nederland aangekomen.

Ik heb nog wel een vraagje over al die massages die je steeds maar hebt.

Is een uur niet een beetje lang ? Verder geef je er opvallend weinig informatie over !!! :oops:

Nou, gisteren zijn bij ons de nieuwe ramen geplaatst dus die ellende is achter de rug.

Groeten van Corry,

Pap
Haidiehaai...

Took a speedboat from Luang Prabang to Pak Beng...amazing how fast the boat goes, life vests and helmet on ( not me with my hat, haha ) and with 60 or 70 km per hour flying over the mekong... great thrill !!! And if I haven't said it enough, the nature here, those green moutains, untouched by human hands since thousends of years...
Due to some problems with my bike, no I didn't see problems but the captain smelled more money so I had to go back to the office and pay some more...for the second time...So we left 2 hours later than planned. Arrival was 2 1/2 hours later, we had some difficulties with the engine also so my plan to cycle 50 km vanished right into the air. With 155 km to the next city, where I am now, Udom Xai, is was going to be difficult to do it in two days. First day I made 30 km. By the way, the whole road is asphalt now. I camped in a small village, sleeping in my tent again. And it rained all night.
In the morning it was dry, first two hours also...but than it began raining and it didn't stop...not hard but wet it was. By noon I had cycled 70 km, good huh !
But then the road started to climb, and I started to get a little tired..and more and more... The scenery was beautifull but I didn't see so much, my glasses were white, how you say it, beslagen. It was getting tougher and tougher.
Km sign 35 to Udom Xai...pfff, I was already so tired, counting down.
I looked how long it took me to drive km...4 minutes, not so bad.
The next km took 5 min and then more then six...Yeah, the road kept on clymbing...7 minutes for the next km....This didn't look good. Nature was so nice but I only saw those km signs. Soken wet I was and not so much energy left. I stopped, ate an apple in the rain, sitting on the road....If this is going to be like this for the rest of the 20 km I am not gonna make it I thought, feeling a bit down. But I had to move on and I started to think about writing this to you people, how though it was. Not always rosesmell and moonshine, hahaha. But as we in holland say, hoe dieper de dalen, hoe hoger de toppen. And I had to send this e-mail to you. So in a way you helped me moving on..Thanks !!!!

Then the road went easier, more flat now and then....my good mood returned, it still rained but now that this e-mail was ready I was thinking about for many km I had to think of something else.
So I started to sing, sang alll the songs I knew....km 19, 18, 17 came by.
Can you imagine, me, crazy dutchmen riding through those villages, singing out loud !!! Ha ha ha, I had fun! The locals shouting sabaai dii and I singing out loud, sometimes impossible for me too cause I had to laugh also....
Km 10 shows up and now the end is near.... Oeps, a couple of hundred kids are approching me, all on bike so I start singing Hand in hand kameraden again, hi hi. Just that I didn't have to say a few hundred times sabaai dii !

In the end all is well, I reached Udom Xai, and had a hot shower !
Had an interesting eveningmeal with a 66 year old girl from Germany, nice conversation.

As rules are there to be broken, plans are there to be changed.
I wanna go back to Luang Prabang which I found really great. Situated at the shores of the mekong, I wanna go back there, also for bying an opium pipe for a friend.
From there drive east to the plain of jars, which I tell you later.

For know, adios, hope weather will improve.....

Greetings Lars

Mooie verhalen, Lars! Ik krijg zowat heimwee naar een land waar ik nog nooit geweest ben (Fernweh noemen ze dat). En je moet maar zo denken: hier regent het ook, alleen dan is het dertig graden lager, en raakt je fietsslot bevroren!

Chao,

Gaele

Ha die Lars,

Als jij zo van zingen houd, moet je in een groot dorp of stad naar een karaoke avond gaan!
Gudy, Inge, Johan en ik hebben tijdens nieuwjaar een 'optreden' gegeven in een jungledorp.
Zo'n 200 dansende en joelende mensen gingen uit hun dak toen wij 'altijd is kortjakje ziek' brulden. Een bizarre situatie, vier witneuzen aan de microfoon, en een flinke Laotiaanse band achter ons compleet met drum en electrische gitaren.
Zo iets vergeet je nooit meer! Fantastisch!!!

Veel fietsplezier, John.
Yesterday...
Good biking day, lovely nature. Made it easy to Pak Mong, 84 km.
Had a lovely evening, nice guesthouse, warm water for washing myself.
Went out for some beer and food. Many places were selling food on the street and many I visited. Ate fried bananas, some kind of potatoe, something little and black, beats me what that was. Drank fresh orange juice, ate sticky rice and something that looked like black paper and tasted a little like fish....Had some nice conversations with girls selling all of this. With hand and feet, a little english and lao we could comunicate that : the girl was married, her man worked in Vientianne, she was pregnant, well that was quite obvious hahaha and that the baby was going to be a boy, born end af januari. Name would be Lars, haha, serieus, she said so...laughed a lot, great evening.
Went out for dinner and later to bed. It was a noisy place, thin walls and a wooden floor. Couldn't sleep because of very much noise so I was busy doing my earplugs in. Suddenly loud knocks on the door....open open mister !!! I said, I am sleeping. No, open open !!!! It sounded serieus so I opened. The man took me outside...4 houses further there was a huge fire, a house all in flames !!!! Some surrounding trees as well...
Oh boy, this didn't seem good...I ran to my room and started to pack like a madman...my mouth was dry, critic situation. I brought the first 4 bags downstairs and went out to see how far the fire was. It seemed that the flames were a little lower, I looked for a minute. Yeah, it seemed better so I brought my bags to my room, locked it and went out so see closer. There were many people at the still firing house, carry buckets of water.
They did a good job. A pick up truck was bringing water over and over again to the front of the house so people could use it. Finally the wooden structure of the house collapsed and all the flames were gone.... Pfff, what a night !!!! A fire is always very scary. Glad it was under control I went again to bed after unpacking my bags.

Day after was amazing; from the first km it was like riding in a painting...to my left and right it was so beautifull, turning my head 180 degrees, didn't know where to look first.
According to my map it was 143 km to luang Prabang with many rivers to cross so I thought to do it in two easy days. Firts km sign said 115 km to luang Prabang....huh ? My map wasn't that accurate I had learned allready. 115 km, I can do that in one day, so I thought, I give it a try.
Riding through this magnificient valley I had another day of my life.
I made it easy to Luang Prabang, last 5 km I was feeling so strong, rode like the devil was chasing me. Wanted to go for another 50 km, really...
But a warm shower was waiting, my spot under an immense tree at Mekong river also. Great place, sat there already two nights. Large Lao beer, mjammie !!!!!
Tomorrow will go visit some temples, last time I didn't and smoke some opium, wash my clothes, stuff like that....

Hasta manana

Dear Lars,

Basically you are telling us that you are a lucky bastard.... Bastard!
And did we say anything wrong when we talked about asia? Isn't it fantastic?! Do you notice any similarity between South-America and Asia? Or is there a difference? Tell us all about it.

Enjoy the ladies, beer and scenery!

Greetings,
Rena :wink:

Ha die Rena,

Goh wat een mooie vragen stel jij aan Lars!!!
Met dit soort vragen komt er een beetje diepgang in het forum.

Asie is inderdaad fantastisch! Ben ook benieuwd of er overkomsten zijn met Zuid-Amerika.
Lars, vertel het ons, we kunnen niet wachten op weer zo'n smeuige mail.

Groeten, John.
Maar eerst een antwoord....overeenkomsten zijn er zeker, mooie slanke dames met mooi lang zwart haar, hi hi. Hele aardige mensen en de natuur is ook fantastisch. Het bier is gelukkig all over the world the same...
Wel vind ik het taalprobleem erg jammer...weinig communicatie, ik mis dat wel. Maar zeker kom ik hier een keer terug ! Okee, nu de mail dan maar...

Haaidihaai,

Let's start with leaving Luang Prabang. Cycled 79 km, including 2000 altitude meters, to the allready famous hotel the three sisters. Had another great evening drinking some beer, not as much as last time, haha,and was invited for dinner. The girl gave me the nicest things, the very few pieces of chicken and so. Nice girl, too bad she had a boyfriend, haha. Later we played some games, boter kaas en eieren, vier op een rij and another game they knew. Had a lot of fun.
Next moring it was time to leave, something in me didn''t want to...didn't feel like much fun going into those clouds. It was at +/- 1600 meters so a bit cold also in the morning.
Turned out to be a hard, very very hard day. Didn't have " it " no energy or something.
At 40 km, 4 km before a town where I had promised myself a rest I couldn't go on....put my bike against a pole and just lay down on mother earth. Think I slept within 5 minutes.
Made it then to this town, 4 km further. From there the plan was to cycle another 40 or 50 km but I felt not that good. For the first time I made the following decisioun : not going any further but find a guesthouse and take the rest of the day of. And so I did, went even to bed and yes, even had some fever I think, my eyes felt hot. That night I sweat also a lot, not feeling very fine.
Next day the new plan was to take a bus to Phonsavan and rest there for another day io biking two days. And so I did. First wise decisioun which I am almost positive of spelling it wrong...grrrr. This was also the first time I heard that the roed I was planning to take to the south, to Paksan was forbidden for foreigners....not possible....
Next day I was in Phonsavan and asked around about the road to Paksan. Many people said it was dangerous, guerillas and more fun like that. Said the people would think I am American and shoot me... I went to the toursist office and the police as well, getting as much information as I could. But all was the same....too dangerous. One man said there was a traveller who did it but he had to cross many rivers ( without bridges ) and it took him 5 days. I said, wel I can do that also !
But I have to tell you, I was having these thoughts about what I should do when I was robbed or attacked by one or more man with rifles. I have this wooden stick, mainly for dogs who are by the way the best here in Laos from all over the world, they do not even look at you when you cycle along..... But I was having these thoughts about attacks and stuff like that. I have this ammonia with me which can get a man down if you spray it in hs face but what if he points the gun at me ? And what if there are two or more ? But I really wanted to go this route...
I bought some oranges, squized them and drank the juice. Two man at my hotel were asking me something and I asked them about this road. They said : for me no problem, I am a foreigner, thet should have more problems, some ethnic issue or something.
I had allready made another wise decisioun....not to go...but now.....shit !
No I thougt, do not go Lars, not worth the risk. And if you go back you see Vang Vieng also twice, which was also a nice town. When I was thinking this a man came to me and gave me this large feather, real nice. Just like that, pointed to my hat which also carries a feather and gave me this new one. A special moment...something like a sign I made the right decisioun, it felt like that and it felt good. Feeling much stronger about these hard decisiouns, never too old to learn right, haha, I went so see the plain of jars, a large archeological site with large, the largest is 2.75 meters hight and weights 6000 kg, jars, made for a reason only speculation is made for. Maybe for being used as sarcophagi, wine fermenters or rice storage. 2000 years old. Very impressive.
Tomorrow take the same bus back to Phu Khun and from there cycle the same route to Vang Vieng. Did I tell you there is this place where they serve nice cold beer, have fantastic pillows on the floor where you can lye down and see Friends on a large tv non stop ??? Gonna spend some time there, havin' fun...

See you when I am in Vang Vieng, love to you all
lars de wit schreef:Het bier is gelukkig all over the world the same...
Hebben ze daar Westmalle Tripel? Wauw! :D :D
Wat een avontuur elke keer Lars; ik denk dat je een aardige leesdichtheid hebt op dit forum, een soort virtuele groep, en jij bent de toerleider. Tot de volgende aflevering!
Leon

Ha die Lars,

Volgens de laatste berichten drijft er nu een farang met een grote hoed rond op een binnenband van een auto op de rivier bij Vieng Vang Met een big bottle of Lao Beer. In heel Laos kent men nu inmiddels het lied van Feyenoord!!!! Jammer dat de weg van Pak beng naar Udomxai geasflateerd is. Het avontuur is daar nu een beetje vanaf. Hoe was het restaurant met de drie dochters eigenlijk. Ben je nog op het hoereneiland geweest in het grote stuwmeer, of bewaar je dat tot het einde.
Maak je al die fietsende schoolkinderen goed gek door er zarend snel voorbij te scheuren?

Groetjes uit Sri Lanka, Lion Lager smaakt ook uitstekend.

Bert

re

Hai Leon !
Tja, je maakt wat mee soms op zo'n reis, hi hi
Enneh, nee geen triple bier hier, wel gewone 630 ml flessen heerlijk koud blond bier...

Hai Bert !
Ik weel nog steeds niet of ik nu in het goiede restaurant de drie dochters ben geweest...er waren er twee. Als je met je neus ervoor staat de linker ?
Dat met die hoed kan wel kloppen ja, ben van plan om morgen te gaan kanoeen hier een dagje in Vang Vieng...
En ik ben nog steeds van plan om 1 dirtroad hier te berijden, een km of 10 boven Phon Khoun, waar die business was weet je wel ? , om daar naar het westen een dirtroad naar de mekong en Vientianne te gaan berijden.
Dus dat eiland laat ik maar links liggen letterlijk en figuurlijk, hahaha.

Hoe is het weer inmiddels op Sri Lanka ? Al wat droger ?
En de wegen, avontuurlijker dan hier ?
Jij ook nog heel veel plezier, we zien elkaar.

Groetjes natuurlijk ook aan allen, doeiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
going places where I' ve never been....tralalala !!

Haidihaai,

Three days of not biking, it feels so good to have my fists on my steering wheel again.
I grap it stronlgly. feeling in control again. I am the captain and I am driving in these magnificient mountains, feeling free, strong and happy...
Singing loudly, sometimes so loud the tears are running over my cheeks. Or is that cause I am going downhil with 50 km an hour? Or is pleasure ? No, I know, all three of it !
It feels so f...... good to bike again. Sun is shining, birds are singing. So many colours of green are covering the mountains...and I, Lars, may drive through this magnificient painting, changing constantly but not too fast.
Made it in two easy days back to Vang Vieng, arrived at noon.
Ingredients for the rest of the day ?
Hot shower, beer Lao, Friends, Lao Traditional Massage, banana pancakes, sandwiches, movie & pizza....not that bad huh ? I forget 28 degrees and all day sun, wearing shorts all day.

Tomorrow gonna float down the river in a tube, that's an inner tube from a truck.
Maybe a beer in one hand, we'll see.

Okidokie, see ya all, bye for now
test 2
Hai,

Tube in Vang Vieng was replaced by a kanoe, paddling down a river really nice. Was together with an inexpierenced girl from Norway in a kanoe and in a rough place in the river the kanoe went opside down ............ lost my hat and everything wet but it dried soon enough in the sun.

Day after I finally found my gravel / dirt road, just north of Phon Hong, heading west and later south to Mekong river. 102 km driving through rural Laos, camped two times in small villages, first one didn't even have electricity as many other villages I've seen. Very nice people asked me both times to sleep in their house but I prefer camping, sleeping under the stars ..... Cooking my own haute cuisine diner, rice with bananas and nuts.
The road was good when it was gravel, okay when it was sand and bad, very bad when it was covered with rocks, size vary from a ping pong ball to an orange. But these roads bring me to places where no other gringo's are coming, leaving locals with a smile on their face or with open mouth .........what was that ? :?: I hear them thinking when I cycled through. But always so friendly, sabaai dii and hello and goodbye all the time .............
Yeah, these two last days I had again a lot of fun, do not wanna go home ...........
Like to cycle to southern Laos, Cambodja, see Ankor Wat and many other places .............well, maybe another time.
Today had a great day in Vientianne, drank a beer at Mekong river and visited a herbal sauna. including massage for the amount of 3 dollars ........ 3 dollars for two hours of relaxing time, isn't that great ? Go tomorrow again :!:
After that I cycle to Thailand, Nong Khai where i take the train to Bangkok, flying back home.
Laos, Asia stole my heart ...... Africa and middle and south America did as well.
Cycling tomorrow over the friendshipbridge between Laos and Thailand again. A
friendshipbridge ......... when I thought about that I thought we in Holland can use some as well. But then again not only in Holland. What if every country on this beautifull planet was connected to his neighbours with a friendshipbridge, so we could all travel from one country to the other, cycling over the friendshipbridges ........ that would be something :D

Lars
............ lost my hat

Snif...

Even allemaal een minuut stilte voor de hoed van Lars.

;-)
Nong Khai Thailand
Ik dacht dat het een suf grensplaatsje was...
Niets in minder waar, gelegen aan mijn geliefde mekong waande ik me op mijn laatste dag in het paradijs....
Mut Mee guesthouse, gelegen direct aan de mekong, een bar / restaurant aan het water, geweldige ligstoelen en prima kamers. Een waardig einde van een fantastische reis.
De dag erna trouwens ook, met de trein naar het vliegveld van Bangkok, niet meer die *@%^&&*%^$% drukke stad in op de fiets !!!!
De treinreis van 600 km was een belevenis. Nu had ik voor mijn laatste kippen in Laos een fles wijn gekocht en twee flesjes water. Walkman op, in de achterste wagon op de treetjes gaan zitten en kijken hoe de rails onder je voorbij raast...( alle deuren staan gewoon open ! ) Fantastisch !!!
's avonds op het vliegveld aangekomen.
Mijn bij een stalletje opgevouwen afgegeven fietsdoos, tezamen met 2 dollar en de belofte bij het afhalen nog eens 5 dollar te betalen opgehaald en naar de vertrekhal gefietst.
Op de heenreis had ik iemand met twee grote stukken handbagage gezien... Ik dacht, wat hij kan, kan larsje ook... Aangezien ik op de heenreis 92 euro overgewicht moest betalen bedacht ik het volgende plan :
Mijn fiets met een voortasje met daarin de brander en andere gevaarlijke dingen ( zakmes enzo ) en zware dingen aan de fiets gebonden. Dit in de fietsdoos en bij het inchecken de doos ver weg zetten, ergens aan de zijkant. De dame van de balie zei dat ik hem moest laten wegen, ik zei dat de fiets 15 kg woog, is normaal voor een fiets. Ik hoefde hem niet te laten wegen wat uberhaupt denk ik niet had gegaan op de kleine band... Verder had ik zware kleren aan, mijn zakken volgepropt met zware dingen en twee, eigenlijk 3 stuks handbagage : mijn stuurtasje, ook weer volgepropt met zware dingen, had ik onder mijn jas hangen, op me rug . Een kanozak met daarin mijn zware tent, slaapmatje enz met een zware achtertas als handbagage. Maar niet bij het inchecken ! Toen stonden ze veilig uit zicht, achter mijn fietsdoos. Het idee was en is dat als je eenmaal ingechecked bent, fiets 15 kg en een ander,licht achtertasje van 4 kg, je ' veilig ' bent.
Je pakt dan uit het zicht van de incheckbalie je twee grote en zware stukken handbagage en wacht op het moment van het in het vliegtuig gaan. Als men je dan aanspreekt op de handbagage, wat kunnen ze doen ? Zeggen dat je een tasje achter moet laten ? Oh meneer, zet daar maar neer, die mag niet mee ! Denk het niet. Een tas alsnog in laten checken ? Maybe...hoeveel kg had u meneer bij het inchecken ? ehh, ik geloof 13 kg...Oh, deze tas weegt 8 kg, nou, kan nog net.... En ik denk dat er toch geen tijd meer is om het in te laten checken, we zijn aan het instappen, we vliegen binnen 15 minuten !
Bij mij werkte het goed, doe het de volgende keer weer net zo. Familie of vrienden op schiphol houden mijn handbagage bij zich bij het inchecken op schiphol en alleen de fiets en een licht tasje inchecken.
Al met al een goed einde van een avontuurlijke reis door een prachtig stukje van Azie.
Bedankt allemaal voor de belangstelling en de leuke reacties, het lijkt wel of iedereen een beetje meereist..... Zo ben ik overdag heerlijk alleen aan het fietsen en s'avonds toch weer een beetje samen met iedereen. Kan ik mijn belevenissen en gedachten van me afschrijven...
Bedankt en tot de volgende keer :D
lars de wit schreef:Nong Khai Thailand ...
Mut Mee guesthouse, gelegen direct aan de mekong,
Hoi Lars,
Even een oud dagboek uit de kast halen>>>
Heb je de kamer op de eerste verdieping met uitzicht over de rivier? Die had ik op 26-2-1990 :D
Het was inderdaad toen ook al een heel aangename plek in Thailand, met voldoende aardige collega-falangs.
Laos was toen nog een vrijwel onbereikbaar land.
Groetjes, Leon
Hey Leon, mijn kamertje met nog natte muren, net geverfd, lag op de begane grond, kon me fiets er zo inrijden nadat ik had beloofd een doek of shirt tussen mijn stuur en de muur te doen zodat deze niet bevuild werd.
Het is een klein paradijsje daar hè, zon, water, palmbomen, een koelkast vol koud bier....
Een mooie reden om nog eens terug te gaan.
Vertel mij trouwens eens, hoe doe je dat nou dat kopieren van tekst, zo van Lars de wit schreef :