tekst & foto uit groep FB Panaracer, paracylist Megan Fisher

199037266_10158593905724864_7691185067825655232_n.jpg
--------------
Our ambassador Megan Fisher became the first solo paracylist to finish the 200-mile Unbound Gravel race over the weekend! 👏

Her race report:

... “The day didn’t start as planned. I had a mechanical about 5 minutes in- which meant I had to turn around and ride upstream against the sea of cyclists headed out. Thankfully, I found help in the pits. It didn’t take long to get sorted and restart the ride. However, I was all alone in last place. I was afraid I’d be in for a 200 mile individual time trial 🤣

I spent most of the day riding alone- picking my way through the line of riders and making up time. I rode with a handful of folks who shared the wind, their wheels, and their great attitudes; @the_dadavist, his riding partner Matt, Peter from Slovakia (not THE #PeterSagan but close😉), Raul, and Chris. Good luck to Chris as he starts #TourDivide.

I rode every climb and through every creek. I never walked and I’m proud of that. I didn’t go fast, I just never stopped.

That said, I’m not sure I could have walked. The heat was really hard on my left leg. I developed heat rash due to my prosthesis and it was painful. Thankfully, I can walk today.

I am still the only solo paracyclist to finish the 200+ mile course.

Two male tandem teams finished this year. The pilots of the tandems are sighted and able-bodied, the stokers are visually impaired.

I hope more athletes with physical impairments come to Emporia next year. I also hope that more people see me and think, “I can do what she does and I can do it better.”

It’s the challenges we choose and the set backs we can’t predict that allow us to discover our strength, endurance and resilience.” Minder weergeven